Student Guide for Uploading a Mobile Video to a Canvas Discussion
Students can use the instructions below to upload a video file recorded on your mobile device to a Canvas Discussion (setup by the instructor) through the rich content editor using the mobile browser. Your instructor will provide specific assignment details and the name of the discussion assignment.
Part #1 - Recording a video using a mobile device:
- Record a video on your iOS mobile device: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/take-videos-iph61f49e4bb/ios
- Record a video on your Android mobile device: https://support.google.com/googlecamera/answer/7064897?hl=en&ref_topic=6164365
Review the "Special instructions for uploading video Discussion posts" section below to learn more about video file size limitations and upload requirements.
Part #2 - Uploading your video through you mobile web browser:
Step #1:Click/tap the Media icon. If you don't see the Media icon, you may need to position your mobile device in a horizontal position to extend the screen.
Step #2:Click/tap the Upload Media tab and then the Select Video File button.
Step #3:Because you've already recorded your video in advance (Part #1), your video can be found on your device by tapping the Photo Library button.
Step #4:Tap to select the appropriate video assignment recorded in Part #1.
Step #5:When the video preview is displayed, tap the Choose button.
Step #6:Your video will begin to upload. Be patient when uploading! If your file is large, it will take several minutes to upload the video file. Follow the steps below to ensure that your video uploads successfully.First, the blue progress indicator will move across the bar, which means the file is still uploading. Don't navigate away during the upload process.
Step #7:Next, the completed blue progress bar will indicate that the file has been uploaded, but not embedded. Again, don't navigate away during this process.
Step #8:Finally, the "Upload Media" window will disappear and you can verify that the file has been embedded.
Step #9:Once you click the "Post" button in the Reply window, you'll see a preview image for your video. Click the "Play" button in the preview to ensure that the video has uploaded successfully.
Step #10:Click the "Play" button in the player. If you aren't able to play your video, it has not uploaded successfully and you should try to upload again.
Special instructions for uploading video Discussion posts
- Check that the video file size us under 500MB:There is an upload file size limit of 500MB in the rich content editor in Canvas. In most cases, students should not exceed this limit. However, if your exported video exceeds 500MB, students can change the resolution of the video to make it smaller.Most mobile video recording defaults to 1080p, but some phones may be set to record at 4k resolution. These high resolution formats may result in very large video sizes. For online submissions, 720p is more than adequate. Guides for reducing video resolution can be found here:
- Reducing video resolution on your iOS mobile device: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209431
- Reducing video resolution on your Android mobile device: https://support.google.com/googlecamera/answer/2838995?hl=en