Topics Map > Canvas > Canvas for Instructors > Global Navigation
Canvas Sandbox Sites and Master Courses
This article provides the steps for creating a sandbox site to practice using Canvas.
UWM instructors can create one or more sandbox sites to practice using Canvas. Sandbox sites have no enrolled students. Sandbox sites can be used for testing out or experimenting with Canvas features, or they can be used to build entire courses that can later be copied to official course sites with students.
Canvas calls sandbox sites “Master Courses” or "Blank Courses." To create a sandbox site in Canvas:
- Log into Canvas
- Click on "Help" in the Global Navigation Menu
- Choose “Create a Master Course” from the flyout menu
- Type “[your name]’s Sandbox 1” in the "Course Name" field (e.g. "Dylan Barth’s Sandbox 1")
- Type “[ePanther].SANDBOX.1” in the "Course Code" field (e.g. "DJBARTH.SANDBOX.1")
- Select your department from the “Choose Department” dropdown menu
- Click “Create Course"
- Click on "Dashboard" in the Global Navigation Menu to find the course
Please note: If you need additional sandbox sites, increase the number after "Sandbox" in the "Course Name" and "Course Code" fields (e.g. "Dylan Barth's Sandbox 2").
Contact the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning with any questions.