Topics Map > D2L Brightspace > Discussions
D2L Discussions - Save Discussion Posts for Archiving or Printing
Learn how to print or save discussion topics and posts to PDF for archiving.
Before you begin
Some of the information that can be exported is FERPA-protected. Save the information on university-owned computers and university services. For more information or for guidance, contact the UWM Records Management office.
- To save Discussions, posts must either be copied and pasted into Microsoft Word, or converted to PDF.
- It is not possible to save an entire forum for archiving or printing.
- Using Grid view, entire topics, threads and posts can be saved.
- Using Reading view, threads or a series of individual posts can be saved.
Find the discussion topic or post to save
- In your course, click the Discussions link in your navbar.
- Click the topic you wish to save posts from.
Save discussion threads using Reading View
- Click the thread you wish to archive.
- Along the right side of the web page, change the "Show" dropdown to the desired option.
- Threaded - show posts in order of response to the thread, grouped by parent.
- Newest First, Oldest First - Organize in chronological order.
- Author First Name, Author Last Name - Alphabetical (or reverse alphabetical) by first name, or last name.
- Subject - Alphabetical (or reverse alphabetical) by subject.
- Attachments first - show posts with attachments at the top of the page.
- Option 1: Copy the text and paste to Microsoft Word. Once the text is in Word, you can save a Word doc, print or create a PDF using built-in functionality, or with Adobe Acrobat.
- Option 2: Use your browser's print option to create a paper copy of the posts.
- Option 3: If you have Adobe Acrobat or an equivilant program installed, it will be possible to create a PDF from within your browser, or by using your browser's print function. Refer to the tool's documentation on how to do so or contact the UWM Help Desk for assistance.
Save discussion topics, threads or posts using Grid View
- Click the checkbox next to each post you wish to save or print.
- If you wish to save/print all messages within a Topic, click on the checkbox to the left of Mark Unread above the list of messages.
- If you have Adobe Acrobat or an equivalent program installed, it will be possible to create a PDF from within your browser, or by using your browser's print function. Refer to the tool's documentation on how to do so or contact the UWM Help Desk for assistance.