How Do I Change Ownership of a My Media Video?
This tutorial explains how to change ownership of a My Media video
Before you Begin:
This tutorial covers adding a video or audio file that has ALREADY been uploaded to My Media. Videos may have be added to your My Media account in multiple ways.
- You may have uploaded a video to My Media at another time, for a different course or semester.
- If you ordered captions for your video, you would have uploaded your video to My Media through the Account tab in Global Navigation. Here is a tutorial on ordering and editing captions.
- Your video may have been automatically uploaded using the Kaltura Capture tool. Here is a tutorial on creating a Kaltura Capture presentation.
- A colleague may have uploaded a video and added you as a Co-Editor or Co-Publisher.
- Recordings of Blackboard Collaborate session may have been uploaded to your My Media account as part of University of Wisconsin System's Media Management Process for Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Recordings.
If you have NOT already uploaded the video to My Media, a more streamlined process can be found in this tutorial, which explains how to upload a video or media file through My Media to a Canvas Page.
- Blackboard Collaborate Recordings
Video that were migrated from Blackboard Collaborate to My Media are organized into a group account. These My Media groups contain all other users with "Teacher" access in the course site in which the video was originally recorded. If you plan to change ownership of a Blackboard Collaborate session recording, it is important to understand that this will remove the video from the group. As a result, access to this video will be removed for any other users with Teacher access in the course site.
- Providing Access to Colleagues
Once you change owner you will no longer have access to the video. You will not be able to edit this media and it will no longer appear in your "My Media" list. If you would like to give a colleague access to the video and retain ownership, you may consider adding the user as a Co-Editor or Co-Publisher.
Login to Canvas.
- Click Account in the global navigation on the left.
- Select My Media.
- Identify the media file that you'd like to publish and click the blue linked title.
- You'll see a window displaying a preview of your video. Pull down the Actions menu on the bottom right and select the Edit option.
- Click the Collaboration tab.
- Click the Change media owner button.
- Enter the new owner’s last name or ePanther ID in the “Type user or group name” field.
- The new collaborator’s user information (email address and name) should appear below the field. (NOTE: If the user has never accessed My Media, no account has been created. Have the user log into Canvas, go to the Account tab. Click on My Media and accept the terms. This will activate the users My Media account.) Once the new collaborator’s name and ePanther ID autofills, click the entry. This will feed the information into the “Type user or group name” field and populate the field.
- When the ePanther ID is populated in the field, click the Save button.