Enable Hibernate on a Laptop or Tablet
Directions on how to enable Hibernate on a Windows device and also apply settings
What is hibernate:
This option was designed for laptops and tablets. It is not available for Desktop computers. Hibernate uses less power than sleep and when you start up the PC again, you’re back to where you left off (though not as fast as sleep). Use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop or tablet for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time. First check to see if this option is available on your PC and if it is, turn it on.
Run the Enable Hibernate application from Software Center:
To hibernate your PC:
- Open power options:
- For Windows 10, select Start , then select Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings.
- For Windows 8.1 / Windows RT 8.1, swipe in from the edge of the screen, tap Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search), enter Power options in the search box, and then tap or click Power options.
- For Windows 7, click the Start button , click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click Power Options.
- Select Choose what the power button does, and then select Change settings that are currently unavailable. Under Shutdown settings, select the Hibernate checkbox (if it's available), and then select Save changes.
Now you’ll be able to hibernate your PC in a few different ways:
- For Windows 10, select Start , and then select Power > Hibernate. You can also press the Windows logo key + X on your keyboard, and then select Shut down or sign out > Hibernate.
- For Windows 8.1 / Windows RT 8.1, move your mouse to the lower left-hand corner of the screen and right-click the Start button or press Windows logo key + X on your keyboard. Tap or click Shut down or sign out and choose Hibernate. Or, swipe in from the right edge of the screen and then tap Settings. (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Settings.) Tap or click Power > Hibernate.
- For Windows 7, click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Shut down button, and then click Hibernate.