Step-by-Step Guide for Instructors Using Collaborate Ultra in Canvas
This article provides step-by-step instructions for getting started with Collaborate Ultra in Canvas.
In this document
- Before you begin
- Part 1: Scheduling a Collaborate Ultra meeting
- Part 2: Participating in a Collaborate Ultra meeting
- Get assistance
Before you begin
- IMPORTANT - Please review the Getting Started with Collaborate Ultra for Instructors article. The article has tips for successful use, best practices and links to resources for students.
- Do you need to offer sessions to courses of more than 250 people? Contact CETL or your school/college support office.
Part 1: Scheduling a Collaborate Ultra Meeting
If you have not enabled Collaborate Ultra in your class, first follow the procedures in the previous section.
Watch a video
To schedule a meeting:
Go to the Home page of your Canvas class, and click Collaborate Ultra in the left-hand navigation panel.
Click Create Session to schedule a meeting.Note that Collaborate Ultra provides one pre-made room for you and your class, called a "Course Room," that is always open. If you do not wish to schedule a meeting, you can simply direct participants to the meeting room that Collaborate Ultra provided for you.
When you click to create a session, use the following settings:
- At the top of settings is a Meeting Name box. Give your session a name there. Recommended: Title should include date and purpose of recording.
- The "Guest role" menu is set to Participant which allows visitors to use their mic and webcam. Setting this option to presenter allows visitors to share there screen in addition to sharing their mic and and webcam.
- The "Guest link" box has a link that can be sent to visitors, such as guest speakers. When they use the link, they will have the abilities granted by "Guest role".
- The Start and End boxes allow you to select when the sessions start and end by day, hour and minute.
Interested in the additional settings? Learn more about Session Settings (Blackboard Help).
Scroll down, and set the Default Attendee Role for students.If you would like your students to be able to share their screen, select Presenter. Otherwise, leave it set to Participant. Interested in more information about what roles can do? See "What can the different roles do?" in the Manage Attendees article (Blackboard Help).
Part 2: Participating in a Collaborate Ultra Meeting
Watch a video
Join the online meeting
Both instructors and students can join the online meeting by doing the following:
- Go to the Home page in your Canvas class.
- Click the Collaborate Ultra link
- Click a meeting room to join the online meeting.
- Click Join Session.
Enabling your microphone and webcam
Do the following to share your microphone and webcam with participants.
- Click the "<<" icon in the lower right corner of the Collaborate Ultra page.
- Click the My Settings gear tool.
- Click to set up your camera (webcam) and microphone.
- Select your microphone, and speak into your microphone to test it. If the purple bar moves, the mic is working, and you should click "Yes - It's working".
- Select your webcam. You should see an image of yourself. Click "Yes - It's working" if your webcam preview is showing.
- Make sure your speaker volume is 100%.
- Click the X icon to close the side panel.
- Now that you have set up your microphone and webcam, you are ready to enable them for the meeting. A slash through the mic and video icon means that your mic is muted, and your video broadcasting is off.
Click the mic and video icons so the mic is unmuted and webcam is enabled.
To continue to the next section, click to open the Collaborate panel again.
Chat (Via Typing) with Participants
- Click the Chat icon and test the chat.
- Consider asking participants if they can hear your audio.
Viewing List of Participants & Muting All Participants
- Click the Attendees icon to view a list of meeting participants.
- You can optionally mute all participants if the background noise is too loud.
Sharing Your Screen
- Click the Share icon to share whatever is on your screen (a website, a PowerPoint presentation, etc.).
- Select the Entire Screen option, and click the screen you are sharing.
- Click the Share button. The meeting participants can now see what’s on your screen.
- Minimize the Collaborate Ultra window, and open the website, PowerPoint, video, etc., that you want to show the class.
As long as you see the Stop Sharing button at the bottom of your screen, your students can see whatever you are doing on the screen. For example, you can open and play a PowerPoint presentation.
When you want to stop sharing your screen, click the Stop Sharing button.
Do you need to share a specific window or other kinds of information? Learn more about Sharing Content (Blackboard Help).
Drawing on a Whiteboard
- Click the Share icon, and click Whiteboard if you’d like to draw in real time.
- Click the pencil icon to draw on the whiteboard using your mouse or a stylus and tablet. Click the erase icon to erase the entire drawing.
Recording the Collaborate Meeting
- To record the session, click Open Session Menu.
- Click Start Recording.
- To stop recording, click the session menu again, and click Stop Recording.
Sharing the Recording on Canvas
To locate the recording after the meeting:
- Go to your course home page, and click Collaborate Ultra in the navigation panel.
- Click Menu.
- Click the Recordings link, and view a list of your recordings. Note: there may be a delay for recordings to appear.
- Share a recording with your class by clicking the recording’s kebab and clicking Copy Link.
- Add the link to your course home page.
Would you like to add captions to your video after recording?
- Learn how to set-up your session to allow recording downloads (Blackboard Help)
- Learn how to donload your session recording (Blackboard Help)
- Learnn how to upload your video to My Media
- Learn how to add and edit captions to videos in My Media
Leaving the Meeting
- To leave the meeting, click to open the session menu.
- Click Leave Session.
- If you experience technical issues with your Collaborate Ultra meeting, refer to the Collaborate Ultra Troubleshooting guide.
- If you experience difficulty with Collaborate Ultra audio, try joining the audio portion of the meeting by dialing in with your phone or by joining with the Canvas mobile app.
The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, the UWM Help Desk and your school/college teaching and learning support office can aid you in the successful use of Collaborate Ultra. Use our online support form to reach out for assistance.
Instructors may also get 24/7 support from Blackboard for Collaborate Ultra.