Zoom Video Conferencing - How To
This document explains how to use Zoom Video Conferencing software.
Zoom Video Conference Instructions
1. Open a web browser and go to the link provided by the organizer of the Zoom meeting.
2. Zoom will now download the installer software, as shown below.
3. After it is finished downloading click on the button indicated to begin the installation of the Zoom App.
Note: This will install the Zoom software on your computer. You now will be able to join the Zoom meeting either by using the link provided in Step 1 or by running the Zoom app and typing in the Meeting ID.
If you choose to use the link in Step 1 and the Zoom app is already installed, a new message box will pop up as shown below. Click on “Open Zoom Meetings” to launch the Zoom app.
4. Zoom will then ask you to enter your name.
5. The Zoom software should automatically set up your web cam , microphone and speakers but if it doesn’t you can click on “Test Computer Mic & Speakers” to set those up as shown below.
6. Click on the large blue button shown above, “Join with Computer Audio” to join the video conference.
7. Now you should be in the video conference.
Note: Another option is to connect the audio using a phone call instead of your computer. This option will allow you better audio if your internet connection is not very good. To select the Phone Call option click on “Phone Call” as shown below. Instructions on how to connect via phone are listed. Click “Done” once you have called the phone number and are connected into the conference.
To join the Zoom conference by phone without using the Zoom computer App:
1) Dial 646-876-9923 (or 669-900-6833 or 408-638-0968)
2) Enter the Meeting ID followed by the # sign (when prompted).
3) Ignore the prompt to enter a "participant ID," and press # to enter the meeting.
At the bottom left there are two buttons, one of which can mute or unmute the audio and the other can mute or unmute the video.
Near the center bottom of the Zoom window is a button to allow screen sharing to everyone. The entire screen can be shared or just one program.
Next to the screen sharing button is the Chat button. This opens a chat window. If you are having issues with audio or video you may want to use the Chat feature to communicate with the other participants.
Only the Host will be able to record the session.
When you are done you can either close the Zoom App like a regular program or you can click on “Leave Meeting” in the lower right corner of the Zoom App.
Some tips for a successful connection:
• Always use a wired internet connection. If you cannot get a wired internet connection try to use a robust wireless system such as at a University or at work. If you use WiFi at home it will not typically be as good of a connection as wired at home because every device (i.e. cell phones, tablets, laptops) that is connected on WiFi degrades the signal to each device slowing the connection and making the video and audio in your video conference worse. If you use WiFi at a coffee shop you are subject to the coffee shop’s connection which may be fine for browsing the web or using email but not always for video.
• Use a headset with an attached microphone. This will cut down on any echo while also providing more privacy for you and the other participants. It will also allow better audio from you because the microphone is closer to your mouth.
• If you connect to Zoom using the “Computer Audio” option and the connection (either audio or video or both) is not good, then exit out of Zoom and go back into the meeting using the “Phone Call” option instead. Using the “Phone Call” option cuts down on the data being sent over the internet and so it should improve the video.
• Don’t sit with your back to a window. If you have a window behind you it may be very bright for the remote attendees and they will probably not be able to see you very well.
• Try to set up a test with the remote participants ahead of time to make sure everything runs smoothly.
• If the video simply will not work Zoom does allow you to call in using just a phone. The instructions for this are listed below.
• Wear solid colors. If you wear something with stripes or patterns it may be distracting especially if the video connection is not very good.