Office 365 (Word) - Save PDFs for Online Course Submission
This article describes how to save Office 365 documents in Word, Excel and PowerPoint to PDF in a way that is suitable for online submission.
Parts of the information in this article was provided by Microsoft Support.
NOTE: These instructions are for UWM's version of Office 365 for PC and Mac. If you are using Word online, you will need to install the Office 365 desktop software. Microsoft 365 Apps - How to install Microsoft 365 Apps (previously known as Office 365 or Office 365 ProPlus) on Windows or Mac
Word in Office 365 for Windows
Part 1: Compress Pictures
- Click one of the pictures in your file.
- Under Picture Tools, on the Format tab, in the Adjust group, click Compress Pictures.
- If you do not see the Picture Tools and Format tabs, make sure that you selected a picture. Depending on your screen size, you might only see the icons for the Adjust group. The Compress Pictures button appears without a label.
- To compress the selected pictures to all pictures in the document, uncheck the Apply only to this picture checkbox.
- Under Target Output, click the resolution that you want.Highly recommended: Web or Email.
Changes are made when you close this window.
Part 2: Save the file to PDF
Before performing these steps, make sure your document is saved as a DOCX file.
- Click the File tab.
- Click Save As along the left.
- Double click a file destination. Typically, this is "This PC".
- Change the Save as Type menu to PDF.
- Below the Save as Type option, next to "Optimize for", click 'Minimum Size'.
- Click the Save button and give your file a new, unique name.
Word in Office 365 for Mac
Part 1: Reduce File Size
- Click the File menu
- Click Reduce File Size.
- The Picture Quality window will appear. Choose either "Best for viewing on-screen" or "Best for viewing in e-mail"..
Part 2: Save As PDF
- Click the File menu.
- Click Save As.
- Click the File Format box, and choose PDF.
- Click the Save button.