MFA (How To) Identity-Verified Accounts Pre-enrollment
This article provides instructions for Identity-Verified Account holders to pre-enroll in Microsoft MFA.
From October 25, 2021 – November 11, 2021, Identity-Verified Account holders will need to pre-enroll their accounts in Microsoft MFA to avoid lapses in security while the IT Department makes important updates to its infrastructure. Pre-enrollment will open at 9:00 am on October 25 and close at 11:59 pm on November 11, all times CDT.
"Identity-Verified" accounts are special UWM accounts that require elevated "identity assurance" (that is: particularly strict verification) of the account-holder's identity. These accounts are typically held by full-time staff professionals who perform HR and/or finance functions and require special access to IT systems like HRS and SFS. Relatively few UWM employees have these "Identity-Verified" accounts.
Please visit the UWM Digital Identity site: https://uwm.edu/digital-id for more information.
Note: You will need to install the Microsoft Authenticator App from the Google Play Store on an Android device or the App Store on an iOS device. If you are viewing this article on a computer, you can securely install the Microsoft Authenticator App by using your Android or iOS device to scan the respective QR codes directly from Microsoft’s website. If you are viewing this article on your mobile device, you can click the link to securely install it for Android from the Google Play Store, or for iOS from the App Store.
To begin pre-enrollment:
- In your browser, navigate to https://aka.ms/mfasetup and sign in with your UWM email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
- Click Next to follow the prompt to enter more information.
- You will be prompted to provide Additional security verification.
If you wish to watch the video in the screenshot above you can do so here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWbkLuI4g30
- Select Mobile app (recommended) from the drop-down menu, select Receive notifications for verification, and click Set up.
- Note: If you travel internationally you may want to choose the Use verification code option if you will not have reliable internet access. For more information on MFA for international student/employees please review the following article.
- Open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your iOS/Android device, and use this to scan the QR code in the prompt. Click Next.
- The system will run a test. Respond to the notification on your iOS/Android device.
- You will be prompted to provide additional security verification for a backup method. (Phone number). DO NOT USE YOUR TEAMS PHONE NUMBER FOR ANY AUTHENTICATION METHOD. If you have a Duo hardware token, it will not work with Microsoft MFA. Click Save when finished.
- When you are done setting up multi-factor authentication click on your Person icon and choose Sign out.
For more information about the Microsoft MFA sign in prompt please see Microsoft’s article, Set up your Security info from a sign-in prompt.