Microsoft MFA (How To) Enrolling and Managing Your Account – Student MFA
This article will provide useful links on how to enroll your UWM student ePanther account in multi-factor authentication.
UWM now requires students, faculty, and staff to enroll their account in multi-factor authentication to deliver an additional level of protection for their account. The official authentication software for students is Microsoft MFA. For frequently asked questions about multi-factor authentication at UWM please visit our MFA for Students page. Students will have two options for enrolling in Microsoft MFA; Enrollment from an MFA Prompt, and Enrollment from the Security Info page in Office 365.
The following articles will provide background information on the initial MFA prompt that students will see when they log into Office 365 at UWM, what the Microsoft Authenticator app is and how it works, and what the My Account portal is, and how to get there.
- What is the Additional verification page?
- What is the Microsoft Authenticator app?
- What is the My Account portal?
- When logging in to your UWM Microsoft 365 account or PAWS for the first time, you will see the following prompt to enroll in Microsoft MFA:
- After clicking Next you will be prompted to provide Additional security verification.
- From the drop-down menu, select Mobile app.
- Select the option, Receive notifications for verification and click Set up.
- Note: If you're an international student, you may want to use the Use verification code option if you will not have reliable internet access. For more information on MFA for international students please review the following article.
- Follow the steps in the prompt to install the Microsoft Authenticator app on your iOS/Android device.
- When ready, use your iOS/Android device to scan the QR code in the prompt. Click Next.
- The system will run a test. Respond to the the notification on your iOS/Android device.
- You will be prompted to provide additional security verification for a backup method. (phone number) To skip this step click Done.
- When you are done setting up multi-factor authentication click on your Person icon, and Sign out.
For more information about the Microsoft MFA sign in prompt please see Microsoft’s article, Set up your Security info from a sign-in prompt.
In addition to enrolling from an MFA prompt, enrollment can be done by clicking on your Person Icon in the top right corner of the Office 365 screen and then choosing View account from the drop-down menu. The Security Info page is also where you will go to update any information after you have completed enrollment in Microsoft MFA.
The articles by Microsoft assume you are already logged into your Office 365 account and have already clicked on your Person Icon, and View Account from the drop-down menu.
On the next page select the Security info tile or tab on the left.
The following articles will provide further instructions on how to enroll your UWM account in multi-factor authentication by using the Recommended and Backup Methods below:
Microsoft Authenticator App
- Download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app – Provides instructions and links for Google Android and Apple IOS devices.
- Set up the Microsoft Authenticator app as your verification method
- Add your work or school account to the Microsoft Authenticator app
- Manually add an account to the app
- Microsoft MFA (How To) Set up and Reconfigure for International Use
- Microsoft Authenticator for Android in the public cloud in China
The following articles provide instructions on how to sign in to your account using Microsoft MFA. The screen you see to authenticate with MFA will vary depending on the authentication method you chose.
- Sign in to your accounts using the Microsoft Authenticator app
- Sign in using two-step verification or security info
Provides links to instructional videos.
- Set up multi-factor authentication with a mobile device in Microsoft 365 Business– Provides instructions for enrolling in Microsoft MFA from a sign in prompt with the Microsoft Authenticator App
- How to set up authenticator on a new phone | Azure Active Directory– Provides instructions for enrolling a new phone in Microsoft MFA after you have set up a previous device (Ex. You have upgraded your device, your phone was lost or stolen)
- How to Enroll Your Student Account in Microsoft MFA | UWM IT Tutorial – Provides instructions for enrolling in Microsoft MFA from a sign in prompt with a phone number
Provides links to articles related to Microsoft MFA.
- Back up and recover account credentials using the Microsoft Authenticator app
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about the Microsoft Authenticator app
If you are experiencing issues signing in with Microsoft MFA please view the following article:
If you have issues enrolling your ePanther account in Microsoft MFA, please contact the UWM Helpdesk at uwm.edu/helpdesk or at 414-229-4040. For further UWM information regarding MFA, please access: https://uwm.edu/technology/mfa-student/.