Finding the computer name on a University Owned PC
Use these steps to find your "Full computer name." The computer name uniquely identifies your computer.
- At the Windows logon screen, select Other User.
- In the User Name box, type a period followed by a slash: .\
- The Computer Name appears below the password box, next to the words Sign in to:
1. Sign into the computer.
2. Right-click the Start button, then click System.
3. Under Device specifications, the find the Device Name. This is the same as your "computer name."
In the example screenshot below, the computer name is UWM002268.
Your IT support staff may also be able to identify a Dell computer by the Service Tag.
Look for the service tag in the following locations:
Desktops: On a sticker near the power button, and on a bar code on the rear of the computer
Laptops: On a sticker on the underside of the laptop, usually with a small bar code