Canvas - Known Issue: Missing New or Classic Quiz Choice When Creating a Quiz from Modules [Workaround]
When instructors or support staff try to create a new evaluation from the Modules page, no option is given to choose between Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes. This may happen regardless of whether the instructor or user has chosen a default quiz engine or not for the course.
The setting will appear in most courses, but will not in a smaller number of courses.
Discovery and Resolution
- Discovered: October 5, 2023
- Resolution: not resolved
Steps to Reproduce
- Visit any course
- On the Modules page, click "+" to add a new Module Item.
- In the Add menu, choose Quiz.
- Click the [Create Quiz] option.
- If the case is triggered, "Quiz Engine" with options will not appear at the bottom of the box.
There are two circumstances where this may happen: 1) the user has selected a default quiz engine; or 2) a server-side caching issue is triggered where Canvas thinks a default engine is selected in in-reality there isn't.
The vendor appears to be aware of the issue based on a support request submitted by a CETL consultant.
- In the affected course, click Quizzes.
- Click the 3-dot kebab icon on the top right of the page, next to +Quiz.
- Click "Reset quiz engine choice".
Observe the green acknowledgment at the top of the browser page.