Canvas - Microsoft 365 - How to Reset the Connection Between Canvas and OneDrive
Before You Begin
- This article explains how to reset tokens in Canvas and Microsoft (Office) 365.
- Please note that instructions below differ depending on whether you are using Windows or MacOS.
- To complete these instructions, we recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- To complete these instructions, we recommend using a desktop or laptop computer instead of a mobile device or game console.
How to Reset Tokens
When accessing Microsoft 365 documents in Canvas, many errors can be resolved by removing and replacing access permission in both Canvas and Microsoft 365. In Canvas, remove all Microsoft 365 integrations from your Canvas Settings page. In Microsoft 365, remove the Microsoft 365 Prod app from the Office Apps page.
Part 1: Steps for Resetting Tokens in Canvas
To begin these steps, remove all instances of "Office 365 Prod IAD" from your Canvas Settings page, under the Approved Integrations heading.
- In your browser, login to Canvas using the Canvas website: https://uwm.edu/canvas.
- Click the Account icon.
- In the Canvas Account tab, click the Settings link.
- Find the Approved Integrations list.
- Find the first "Office 365 Prod IAD" Approved Integration. (In some cases, more than one instance of "Office 365 Prod IAD" is listed.)
- Click the Trash icon to delete it from the list.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all instances of "Office 365 Prod IAD" are removed.
- TIP: to find applications in the list faster, use CTRL+F (Windows) or Command+F (Mac) to search the page for the application by-name.
- Delete Office 365 Prod IAD tokens until this "Oops! The last request didn't work out." error message appears.
- Click the Account icon.
- Log out of Canvas by clicking the Logout button.
Part 2: Steps for Resetting Tokens in Microsoft (Office) 365
Now you have reset Canvas tokens the next steps are to reset these tokens in Microsoft 365 as well.
- Visit the UWM.edu Website: https://uwm.edu.
- On the UWM.edu website click either For Faculty/Staff or For Students.
- Click the Microsoft 365 link. (Microsoft 365 is found under both drop-down menus)
- Click your profile icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Click the View Account link below your email address.
- On the left side menu, find and then click "Office Apps".
- Click App Permissions in the Office Apps tab on Microsoft 365.
- Find "Office 365 LTI Prod IAD."
- Click on Revoke.
- Click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on the Sign-out link in Microsoft 365.
- Close your web browser. (Note: in most cases, closing the browser window is not sufficient).
- Google Chrome: enter chrome://restart in your browser's address bar and press Enter to restart, or click this link to restart Chrome.
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: enter edge://restart in your browser's address bar and press Enter to restart, or click this link to restart Edge.
- Mozilla Firefox: enter about:profiles in your browser's address bar or click here to go to the about:profiles page in Firefox. Then click "Restart normally..."
- Safari: Click the Safari menu at the top of your desktop, then choose Quit Safari, or press Command-Q. Then, re-open Safari.
- Go to the UWM Canvas Website: https://uwm.edu/canvas.
- Click the Login button and enter your UWM email address and password if prompted.
- Navigate to your Canvas course that was experiencing token issues.
- Then click the "Collaborations" link in your Canvas course.
After finishing these instructions, you will be prompted to re-authorize access to Canvas and Microsoft 365. Once completed, you should now be able to access the desired document from OneDrive in your course.