Zoom - How to Access Live Sessions (Students/Participants)
This article provides tips and guidance for students to successfully participate in live Zoom sessions.
- Before You Begin
- Finding Your Meeting
- Additional Information
- Troubleshooting Problems and Getting Help
Before You Begin
- Enter your meeting room as early as reasonable to make sure your audio and video are working. Join a test meeting to verify your computer or device is working.
- If you are expecting to speak during the meeting, test your microphone before the start of the meeting by un-muting your mic. Ask others if they are able to hear you.
- It is always wise to test your internet connection for speed and stability.
- Test using Fast.com
- Test using SpeedTest.net
- Don't use a speed tester provided by your internet provider as they can provide misleading results.
- In some rare cases (such as when using a commercial VPN) your time zone and language may appear incorrect. Change your Zoom language. Time Zone differences will not affect your ability to enter a room.
Using Your Computer
- Check to make sure your computer meets Zoom's minimum system requirements.
- If practical, use Google Chrome to launch your Zoom meeting.
- Update Zoom before the meeting. If you have the Zoom app already installed, open it. If there are updates, Zoom will ask you to update automatically.
Using Your Smartphone or Tablet
- Use a smartphone or tablet running a recent (3 or fewer years old) version of Android or iOS.
- Check the app store for updates to Zoom prior to the meeting.
- Install the necessary apps on your device
- Sign-in to Canvas using the mobile app.
Finding Your Meeting
Note: most instructors use Zoom through Canvas, but a few may choose to provide access directly from Zoom. If you do not see a room in Canvas, contact your instructor for further assistance.
Using Your Computer Browser
Tip: Don't see the desired course on your Dashboard? You can favorite it so it always shows.
Login to Canvas at https://uwm.edu/canvas. (Continuing Education users: use https://uwm.edu/canvas/continuing-ed.) When prompted, enter your username and password
- UWM students will use their UWM username (a.k.a. UWM email address) and password.
- Continuing Education students will use the email address and password they used when registering for their class.
Click the appropriate card for your course.
Click the Zoom link in your course.
From the Zoom page, click the "Join" (or "Start") button.
If you are joining a Zoom meeting for the first time, you will receive a prompt to install the Zoom desktop client. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the client.
Click the "Join with Computer Audio" button.
Are you having difficulty hearing audio? Are people unable to hear you? See Testing Your Audio in: "Testing Audio Before Zoom Meetings".
Using Your Smartphone or Tablet
Note: Some tablets do not have microphones or speakers. You may need to purchase a wired or wireless (Bluetooth) headset to use Zoom. Join a test meeting to verify your audio and microphone are working
Start your Canvas app, then select your course from the Dashboard.
From the class menu, select Zoom.
You may be prompted to login with your UWM credentials again. Complete the login process as necessary.
A list of meetings will appear for the course. Select the "Join" (or "Start") button to enter the meeting. To see the button, you may need to drag the page to the left.
The Zoom mobile app will open.
By default, the app will use the active speaker and microphone for your device. You may be prompted to allow permission to access your microphone and camera the first time you enable them.
- Download Google Chrome for computers
- How to update your Android apps (Google Support)
- How to update your Apple device apps (Apple Support)
- How do I download the Canvas Student app on my Android device?
- How do I download the Canvas Student app on my iOS device?
Troubleshooting Problems and Getting Help
Before you contact support, review these articles first.
- Contact Zoom Support to get assistance with installing and using Zoom.
- Having difficulty accessing Canvas with your UWM username? Contact the UWM Help Desk.
- Contact your internet provider if you are having difficulty with audio/video quality or are having difficulty staying connected to the meeting.
- Get help with using Zoom in Canvas from CETL.
- After hours? Contact Zoom Support for the fastest service.
- Having difficulty with classroom technology? Contact Classroom Services.
- Having difficulty with other UWM technology? Contact the UWM Help Desk.