Video Conferencing at UWM - FAQ for Faculty and Staff
UWM supports three options for video conferencing services:
- Microsoft Teams is recommended for most meetings and video chats
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is recommended for online instruction using video
- Zoom for your general meeting needs
The wide array of features offered by these services can accommodate nearly any video conferencing need.
This FAQ is intended to help you select the correct service for your needs and find resources to get you up and running.
- Where can I compare the features of the available services?
- A table comparing the features of the available video conferencing services can be seen here: https://kb.uwm.edu/cetl/98758
- Zoom licensing is now available. Requests for Zoom should be assigned to IT Purchasing with a task assigned to JJ Stenitzer.
- Where can I learn more about the approved video conferencing platforms, or attend training classes for the platforms?
- How should I organize a video meeting with other UWM employees?
- What service should I use if my meeting has external (non-UWM) participants?
- Both Teams and Collaborate Ultra meetings can be joined by external participants. No UWM account is required.
- You can invite any email address to Teams meeting. The address will receive a link to join the Teams meeting online.
- What should I do when the contents of my meeting are confidential, especially FERPA- or HIPAA-related?
- Use Microsoft Teams for meetings where sensitive information will be present, such as FERPA or HIPAA data.
- Teams supports “end-to-end encryption” which protects all of the contents of your meetings from viewing by outside parties.
- UWM has entered into a legal agreement with Microsoft that certifies the security of meeting contents on Teams, including meeting all FERPA and HIPAA security requirements.
- My meeting needs to have many simultaneous videos, more than the nine available in Microsoft Teams. What platform should I use?
- Teams is still recommended for meetings that require many simultaneous videos. Teams will support up to 49 simultaneous videos in an update planned for Fall 2020.
- My meeting needs to have breakout rooms. What platform should I use?
- My meeting would best work on Zoom. Can I make that happen?
- Yes you can UWM now supports Zoom and has Zoom licensing for use. To obtain Zoom, please put in an incident with the Help Desk and they will route to the appropriate team for access requests.