Student Guide for Uploading a Mobile Video to a Canvas Discussion
Before students begin:
In order to successfully upload a video from your mobile device that your instructor can view and grade, you'll need to use the Canvas Student App.
Download and install the Canvas Student App:
- For iOS: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9831-18561185379
- For Android: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9758-18555199445
- Record a video on your iOS mobile device: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/take-videos-iph61f49e4bb/ios
- Record a video on your Android mobile device: https://support.google.com/googlecamera/answer/7064897?hl=en&ref_topic=6164365
Review the "Special instructions for uploading video Discussion posts" section below to learn more about video file size limitations and upload requirements.
- For iOS: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9715-how-do-i-log-in-to-the-student-app-on-my-ios-device-with-a-canvas-url
- For Android: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9755-18555199446
More help with the Canvas Student App:
- For iOS: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4100
- For Android: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4104
Special instructions for uploading video Discussion posts
Check that the video file size us under 500MB:
There is an upload file size limit of 500MB in the rich content editor in Canvas. In most cases, students should not exceed this limit. However, if your exported video exceeds 500MB, students can change the resolution of the video to make it smaller.
Most mobile video recording defaults to1080p, but some phones may be set to record at 4k resolution. These high resolution formats may result in very large video sizes. For online submissions, 720p is more than adequate. Guides for reducing video resolution can be found here:
Reducing video resolution on your iOS mobile device: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209431
Reducing video resolution on your Android mobile device: https://support.google.com/googlecamera/answer/2838995?hl=en